Friday, October 9, 2015

Southern Living

Matthew and I recently moved to Fayetteville, AR. These are my thoughts and opinions on living here:

Our apartment: I will write a post on our apartment and my home decor adventures at another point.
It was hard for Matthew and I to choose a place to live here in AR strictly over the internet. In hindsight, we totally should have contacted people here and asked for suggestions, but, too late!
We chose to move into a townhouse. It is pretty inexpensive and has much more square footage than our last apartment.
If you looked around our complex you would see a lot of college students and old people.
We had a scare a few weeks ago when a domestic disturbance ended up in a murder/suicide just three doors down from us. EEK! I would be lying if, since that happened, I was not super paranoid at night and making sure my doors are locked.

Fayetteville and Baby Paul:
People are constantly commenting on cute baby Paul. Older people especially. Mostly about his head of hair. A lady yesterday offered to trade me a puppy for Paul. HA HA.
A retired NICU/Labor-Delivery nurse told me that Paul was one of the lucky "cute" babies. "Not all babies are cute, don't you know"

Friendly People: I was getting back into my car after shopping at Walmart this week and this old lady knocked on my passenger window. "Where are you from?" she shouted through my window. I rolled it down and answered, "Idaho." "Well, welcome to Arkansas" she replied.
Most of the time I really appreciate the friendliness of the people here. In fact, basically all the time. Window knocking lady only kind-of freaked me out, ha!

Events: There is SO much to do here! It has been a nice change from living in Idaho. Since we moved here there has been two festivals, there are flea markets EVERYWHERE, the library here is ginormous, and this weekend there is a puppet festival at the city park. So fun. I won't lie and say I go to every event, but Matthew and I have enjoyed walking through flea markets and attending the county fair (the bull riding was so intense!)

Weather: I had a lot of dreams/nightmares about tornados when we first moved here, but that has ebbed away (mostly). We moved here at the end of July and felt the humidity instantly!
It doesn't really bother me at all living where there is humidity. A lot of the time I really enjoy it actually. The only thing I really loathe is when I am cleaning my house and feel humid and sweaty even with our A/C. Ick. I have been told this summer was very mild compared to the usual, so I reserve the right to change my mind about AR summers next year!

Scenery: I assumed AR would be flat and brown/yellow, like my memories of Kansas. I was SO wrong! It is beautifully green here! Matthew and I plan to drive to one of the National Parks close to us in a few weeks so Matthew can take some photographs.

Overall, I am really enjoying living in the Natural State!

No comments:

Post a Comment